The North American Handmade Bicycle Show has now wrapped for another year, with 2017 breaking records for international exhibitor numbers.
Over 180 exhibitors made up this year’s show, giving judges of the annual awards plenty to consider across three categories of Riding Discipline, Construction, and Overall Design.
Didn’t make the show yourself? Here’s a sample of those builds deemed by the judges as outstanding and worthy of a NAHBS award:
RIDING DISCIPLINE DIVISION
Fully complete bikes, paint and component choices factor into the judging (aesthetic impact and correctness of the discipline)
- Best City Bike/ Utility Bike – Shamrock Cycles – Image
- Best Road bike – David Kirk – Image
- Best Mountain Bike – Skylar – Image
- Best Cyclocross Bike – Donhue – Image
- Best Gravel Bike – Mosaic Cycles – Image
- Best Track Bike – LOW – Image
- Best Tandem Bike – Santana – Image
- Best Experimental Bike – Rock West Composites – Image
- Best Artisan Bike – Black Sheep – Image
Construction categories: All bikes presented for the construction categories (lugged, fillet-brazed, TIG-welded and carbon layup) are presented as naked frames. To make the frames easier to inspect, they are presented with a fork, headset and stem. Painted bikes are deemed ineligible.
- Best Fillet Frame – David Kirk – Image
- Best TIG Frame – Eriksen – Image
- Best Carbon Layup – Alchemy – Image
OVERALL DESIGN DIVISION
Theme: These are complete bicycles with a description of the theme, concept or heritage the frame builder is portraying. These bicycles will be judged with an eye toward the overall execution of the theme.
- Best New Builder – SaltAir – Image
- Best Columbus Build – Breadwinner – Image
- Campy Award – No. 22 – Image
- Best Theme – Peacock Groove – Image
- Best Finish- Black Magic Paint – Image
- People’s Choice- Tallerico – Image
- President’s Choice- Enigma Bicycles – Image
- Best In Show (pictured right) – Peacock Groove – Image
To view the entire catalog of studio images from the show — Images