Local Bike Shop Day (LBSD) is returning for 2020, taking place Saturday 2nd May. LBSD is one day a year where IBDs across the UK come together to showcase their passion, knowledge and personalised service they offer to their local communities.
150 local bike shops got involved in 2019, a growth of 72% from its inaugural year in 2018. Last year’s event also saw the hashtag #supportyourlocalbikeshop posted over 75,000 times, gaining more than 100,000 impressions.
The LBSD webpage received 1,800 unique visits, with several suppliers getting on board with tailored promotions.
How can your shop get involved?
The ACT has pulled together several ways in which local bike shops can take part in the day and showcase their individuality and organise unique events tailored to their customers.
- Offer a free basic repair session or workshop – running a drop-in session for free puncture repairs or demonstrations in basic maintenance tips.
- Guided bike rides – Plan a guided tour through nearby countryside, national parks, local cycle routes or MTB trails to give people the chance to explore their local area.
- Organise a shop charity ride – encourage your customers to sponsor your staff or to jump on a bike themselves to complete a long distance ride in aid of a worthy charity.
- Support & collaborate with other local independent businesses – this could include carrying out basic repairs for other businesses, discounts, recommending local cycle-friendly cafes, and so on.
- Engage with other seasonal events – Tying your event in with other seasonal events could attract new members of the community to your shops, for example Easter Egg hunts.
- Contact local schools – Raising awareness of local bike shop day in local schools can help to encourage cycling and build confidence on the roads from a young age, you could also allow local schools to decorate the shop for the day.
To download the official logos and banners, and to start planning your day, you can register for LBSD here. If you’ve already started planning your day, let the ACT know and your shop could be featured on the LBSD website and social media pages.
The ACT is also collaborating with the London Bike Show to offer free trade entry through completing a form on the ACT website. The show is returning to ExCel London 27-29 March 2020 as it celebrates its 10th birthday.
Trade tickets will be sent to the email address provided approximately two weeks before the show.