Ahead of the launch of CyclingIndustry.News’ annual market study of the independent retail channel we are pleased to announce the backing of a number of the market’s leading brands.
Last year, with the help of over 200 independent businesses we were able to demonstrate that:
- The average sale price of the UK’s bicycle is steadily rising (albeit with help from e-Bikes)
- The profitability of the independent sector was largely flat
- A segment by segment breakdown of where business has been gained and lost by bike type
- A variety of metrics on average staff pay from management through workshop
- The varied success of offshoot business, including the cycle to work scheme, finance-based sales and plenty more
- Which trade shows were best attended by IBDs
- CI.N was even able to demonstrate which brands had the greatest footprint and sell through in stores, something that we shall expand upon this year
That’s just a small sample of the data that latterly saw staggered publication in our print magazine throughout 2019, to which you can subscribe here. (Hard copy is for UK distribution only).
CyclingIndustry.News Editor Mark Sutton said of this year’s drive for data: “We’re now in to our third year of delivering this service for the UK cycling market and it continues to prove one of the more valuable pieces of content we produce. Not only does it inform our editorial for the year ahead, but it enables those who purchase the data to better forecast the movements of the business over the near to mid-term. Our partners are this year being very generous with their incentives to participate and once again we will be offering the data in full to independents who take the time to participate. In this day and age being armed with the information we are gathering for the market can give your business an upper hand when it comes to making decisions.”
Learning from last year’s survey, this year we have adapted the path to separate pure workshop businesses from retail and workshop trade, meaning that two datasets will be available. We expect to have our report ready in January of 2020, with purchase of the report in full available on request.
In a bid to drive this year’s survey deeper into the market, CI.N this year expands the breadth of questioning and will drive the distribution wider with the assistance of partners in the trade. Raleigh UK, for example, will send each participant a goodie bag containing goods from within its portfolio, more details of which we will announce next week.
Those wishing to dip in to the survey ahead of next week’s key release may do so here. An estimated completion time is ten minutes and, as before, we are requesting that only independent bike shop and workshop businesses take part.
To set up an alert for the full report’s availability please email our team here.